Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Unpack

Here's a little Cecily fun-fact. Usually, after I've returned from a trip (and it can be a two day excursion or a three week vacation) I throw my suitcase on the floor of my bedroom, open it and then unpack it slowly over a month's time. Actually, I usually throw the suitcase on the floor the minute I walk into my apartment and then I drag it into the bedroom a few days later. It's not that I don't mean to unpack and carefully either wash my clothing or hang it neatly in the closet like a real grown-up woman. I just somehow never get around to it and instead retrieve items on an as-needed basis. "Wonder where that green Banana Republic t-shirt is? Oh there it is, crumpled under my jeans in my carry-on. Surely, it's wearable?!" I then, of course pull it out, wear it and hope no one asks questions. "I need to charge my iPod. Hmm. Why, there's my charger...right there next to my travel soap in the "side-pocket" of my luggage. I'll just grab that and get that iPod charged right away."

Eventually over time, my baggage gets unloaded back into my life until it's time to re-pack and start all over again. The similarities between the baggage I leave on my floor and the baggage that has come with so many (let's say more than 15) failed relationships is obvious. I think, "I'm just not gonna deal with any of this now and then over time, bit by bit, I'll unload it all onto someone else." That green Banana Republic t-shirt at the bottom of the suitcase is no different than the "I get crazy-jealous when you seem happier to see that chick from your improv class than to see me" moment. It's gonna come out eventually but it may take awhile to present itself.

I guess ultimately this is a good thing. It might terrify someone if I unloaded my suitcase full of crazy all at once. Just like clothes and chargers, I'll get around to unpacking it all when the time is right.

Readers, I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to email me thoughts or questions: Shescrazyhesaliar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment