Saturday, September 21, 2019

2018 BEST MOVIES

As we near the end of 2019, here are my favorite films of 2018. (I'M SO BAD AT THIS!) Though to be fair, I had open heart surgery smack dab in the middle of 2018, so cut me some slack. Actually, please don't cut me at all. No more cutting.

Here we go...


Science Fair (documentary) A
The best little doc you've never seen. Nat Geo killed it this year and this little film about a group of extraordinary high school kids who enter a science fair, their families and one special teacher got me right in the heart. (Hence, the heart surgery. I'm not blaming them per se, but well...) 

Can You Ever Forgive Me A
Melissa McCarthy was robbed of Best Actress for this wonderfully moving and sad character study of hardened alcoholic writer, Lee Israel. Richard E. Grant, who also got nominated for supporting, was at his best. This was just a pleasure to watch.
  
Mary Poppins Returns A/A-
Emily Blunt pulled off quite a difficult feat filling the shoes of Julie Andrews and I think she captured it perfectly. New songs, new dance numbers, a tap dance from (yes!) Dick Van Dyke, a dash of Lin-Manuel Miranda and a spoonful of sugar made the medicine go down...and now I'm singing. Sorry.

Jane Fonda in Five Acts (doc) A
Believe it or not (I don't care!) documentaries aren't usually my favorite. Mainly because the brilliant Bill Hader and Fred Armisen have spoofed them so hard in their IFC hit Documentary Now, it's hard to watch them without laughing. So when they actually make me FEEL, that really says something. I've always loved Jane (and her whole family) and this film cut out the small talk and cut right to the chase. (Again with the cutting.) Worth checking out! 

Green Book A -
Though this won Best Picture, there was some controversy about this film. First, Viggo Mortensen is not the kind of actor you want on a press tour. He's just not. Don't ask questions. Secondly, some were offended by its existence, but I'm not entirely sure why. I argued the beauty of this film with many, some who believe this was the worst "best picture" ever. (We all know that honor goes to Crash.) But I stand by it, especially Mahershala Ali's portrayal of Don Shirley.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Vice, What They Had, Deadpool 2, Tully 

No comments:

Post a Comment